Sunday, January 28, 2007

Percentages



What you see here is the small portion of my room that is devoted to supplies (There are more in the fridge of course). Percentage wise, they take up a very small amount of my room. The other half of that shelving unit is crammed full of binders and books of sheet music for auditions. I also have 2 large bookshelves full of books and only 10 have to do with diabetes. The majority are musical theatre related (I have hundreds) and the others are New York travel guides, books about children's games and activites (oh the life of a nanny), novels, etc. etc.

The percentage of space diabetes takes up in my apartment is minimal. The percentage of space diabetes takes up in my daily life since June is quite significant. Some days its presence is felt more than others.

*I had my first appointment at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center on Friday. A1C of 6.3!!! The only thing that would've made the trip better was if I had insurance. boo.

*Went out with a bunch of friends Friday night at Social (47th & 8th) and discovered a new drink that didn't make my sugars go crazy! Blueberri Stoli and Sprite (not diet)! (I agree, it sounds gross.... but it's delicious. I swear.)

*My 19 yr. old sister flies in from Michigan tonight. She'll be here for about 3 weeks! It will give me an excuse to go see more shows and touristy sights which is always exciting. It's easy to get caught up in the day to day of Audition-Work-Home-Audition-Work-Home. rinse. and repeat. Sometimes I don't get out as much as I should in this crazy city.

*I'm getting up at 5am to go to an audition tomorrow morning. And dragging my sister with me.

*I've given myself a grand total of ONE unit of Humalog today (Only 6 units of Lantus before bed last night) and my numbers have been: 125, 82, 71, 93, 66
This honeymoon creature has a mind of his own.........

8 comments:

Allison said...

Hi Cecily!

I just discovered your blog and wanted to say "Hi"! I completely identify with the space issue. I have a similar type of set-up in my college apartment!

Allison

Shannon said...

Congrats on the great A1C!! And have a great time with your sister! I'm so envious that you have tons of things to do right at your fingertips (no pun intended).

ashleigh said...

i have a drawer for my stuff. it's all messy at the moment with used test strips stuck to the bottom. they get everywhere.

Cecily said...

Allison,
Hi! I just visited your blog. It's great! I just added a link to it on mine. (Hope that's ok?)

Shannon,
Thank you!! The A1C was good.... but my doctor wasn't so impressed with my carb counting, so she's had me step that up and keep really accurate records. It's easy to do when I'm at home and can read boxes, but I spend most of my time out around the city so that makes it HARD!! haha. (I have a little book that has the nutritional info, which helps, but it's inconvenient to have to do that math all of the time!)

Ashleigh,
Hi! Welcome to the OC! I'm very new here myself. I added a link to your blog on my site.
(p.s. My middle name is Ashleigh)

Kerri. said...

Nice setup there. I have a section of my closet devoted to supplies and all that chaos. (Although a rubber duck and a copy of my manuscript ended up in there, too, for no apparent reason.)

Great job on your A1c! And while I personally don't remember my honeymoon years (my mother was in charge at that point), I remember her constantly fighting against low blood sugars.

Oh, and my boyfriend and I are going to NYC this week to see SpamALot. I'm very excited!!

The Patient Connection said...

Research Blog on Diabetes and Lifestyle


Love the story about the broadway show - thought you mugfht be interested in our blog

We at The Patient Connection are currently running a research blog or online discussion on the subject of diabetes and the lifestyle of diabetics

In particular we are interested in your experience of genetic counseling or those of family members

We would love it if you could share your story or just post useful resources for fellow sufferers.

If you would like to join us please go to

http://www.thepatientconnections.com/blog.asp?uid=33

Thanks and remember your opinion counts

Best wishes

Belinda
The Patient Connection
Belinda.shale@thepatientconnections.com

k2 said...

Hi Cecily-
Welcome to dblogville! It's a VERY interesting/informative/kooky place filled with spectacular people and I'm really looking forward to your spin on life with D ; )

Yes, diabetes supplies will slowly take over your your whole space if you let it

Congrats on the a1c and hope you kicked ass at your auditions!

Kelly K

Karl said...

Cecily,

Can you contact me? Wilderkj@gmail.com

Harlem Hospital is doing a benefit to raise money in order to begin a new diabetes education center.

We would like to have you as one of our guests.